“Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” (Hebrews 10:19–25 ESV)
“For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one.” (Hebrews 10:34 ESV)
- Let us confidently draw near to God because of the once-for-all sacrifice of Jesus, the great high priest. His sacrifice ripped the veil (signifying separation from God; Matthew 27:51, Mark 15:38, Luke 23:45), in two. v19-22
- Let us draw near because of Jesus’ atoning work that cleanses the inner parts of us and creates hearts that long to worship rightly! v19-22
- Let us hold fast to this truth, and not waiver. Our battle is one of belief. v23
- Let us consider how to stir up (provoke) one another up to love and good deeds. v24. This is not a solo endeavor, but a community effort – as we seek to meet together to encourage, challenge and bolster belief, we provoke one another to love and service.
- Let us remember that this is not our home – a better, eternal, perfect inheritance is in store for those who believe. This hope is the fuel for joy. v34
- Let us remember that our right standing before God has nothing to do with us, our performance or progress, but solely on the perfectly lived life and sacrificial death of Jesus. LET US LIVE BY FAITH (trust in Another). v38.
In light of this, endure, persevere, stay faithful, make your salvation sure, stick with it, do not lose hope – for God Himself will keep you. “But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.” (Hebrews 10:39 ESV)